Vice Dean in School of Information Science and Technology (SIST), ShanghaiTech University
Author: SIST Date: 2017-05-14 Browse: 1313
ShanghaiTech University invites applications for a full-time tenured school leader with rich administrative experience to be the Vice Dean of the School of Information Science and Technology (SIST).
The Vice Dean will provide leadership and strategic direction in research and professional education for the School. The Vice Dean will set the standard for intellectual engagement and accomplishment, provide strategic vision and operational leadership to all aspects of the academic and scholarly programs, and create an environment and community that support the School’s faculty and students. The incumbent works closely with other school deans/executive deans, administrative heads and staff to achieve common goals and outcomes.
• Provide a vision and leadership for the School for advancement in teaching and scholarship and fulfil the vision and mission of the University in accordance with the University Strategic Plan.
• Shape and implement a structure that promotes high standards of research, knowledge transfer and student learning at local and international levels.
• In collaboration with the faculty, establish new research opportunities, and undergraduate and graduate education programs for the School and direct its growth and development.
• Provide leadership on fiscal management, faculty recruitment development, and administration of the School.
• Promote innovation through the delivery of degrees at the highest standard whilst embracing new directions, ideas and opportunities.
• Inspire faculty/staff to deliver ambitious academic development programs which significantly enhance the experience of students and reinforce the University’s academic position.
• Act as a major liaison between the School and the external community, and play an energetic role in further strengthening the School’s external relationships.
• Promote interdisciplinary collaborations and tech-transfer projects within the School and across the campus.
Qualifications & Experience:
• A doctorate degree and strong academic and professional qualifications in one of the research focuses of the School with the rank of Professor; IEEE Fellowship is highly preferred.
• A distinguished record of teaching, research and scholarship, and substantial relevant experience in academic leadership roles.
• Experience in representing an academic unit effectively, with attention to its varied constituents, external bodies, and the public.
• A track record in leadership with an ability to work collaboratively with scholars, researches, senior academic personnel and university administrators.
• Experience in working with the faculty on curriculum development and to monitor its delivery to students at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
• Experience in building and sustaining strong ties to a broad corporate, industry and government agency network for program development.
• Strong research and publication records and the capability to provide academic leadership in education programs.
Competencies and Personal Characteristics:
• Capability to provide a strategic vision to assist the Executive Dean to lead the School to new heights in academic achievement and an ambitious drive to foster the highest standards of scholarship, and to build on and expand the School’s strengths.
• Ability to provide strong, dynamic academic leadership, to foster academic excellence, to inspire enthusiasm for high quality teaching and research, and encourage staff development.
• Strong professional stature that would command the respect of faculty members, community stakeholders, professional bodies and government advisory bodies.
• Possession of intellectual leadership and curiosity to provide guidance to a robust research program.
• Ability to attract, motivate and retain distinguished faculty members.
• Outstanding management skills appropriate to working in an international environment with ability to create a shared sense of ownership, collegiality and enthusiasm among faculty and staff members.
• Strategic thinking and planning skills coupled with strong commitment to interdisciplinary collaboration and teamwork.
• Strong communication and networking skills to build and nurture internal and external contacts to the benefit of the School and the University.
• High level of integrity, superior judgment and strength of character.
• Mastery of a consultative and inclusive management style that is both supportive and motivating to the entire organization. A fair and firm administrator who will even-handedly and vigorously uphold quality standards in teaching and research.
• Extensive knowledge of higher education, research and research funding in China and abroad.
• A strong commitment to interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary studies, and to fostering excellence in research and education.
• Commitment to expansion of personal skills to improve and advance all causes of the University.
• Personal passion for education and public policy and a commitment to the hard work of contributing to the University, community and beyond.
• Entrepreneurship and innovative spirit.
ShanghaiTech University is a research establishment comprising five schools and two research institutes. The structure of our five schools emphasizes the cross-disciplinary and innovative nature of our research, approach to education and community service. We intend to leverage our location in the City of Shanghai, with the support of the Shanghai Municipal Government and the extraordinary resources of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).
The University is building a top-tier faculty of 1,000 professors including 500 tenured/tenure-track faculty (recruited globally) and 500 adjunct faculty recruited from CAS institutes, leading global companies and other prestigious universities. Among the current faculty (numbering 400), three are Nobel Laureates. ShanghaiTech offers Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, Doctoral degree and Professional Master Degree. The undergraduate students will reach 2,000 and graduate students will reach 4,000 (including 3,000 Ph.D. candidates). We have campuses in downtown Shanghai and Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park (the Silicon Valley of China). ShanghaiTech is completing a state-of-the-art research infrastructure and has formed a network of research alliances with nearby facilities such as the CAS Shanghai Advanced Research Institute, the Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility and the National Center for Protein Science Shanghai. At the end of 2015, the governing body of Zhangjiang Comprehensive National Science Center has been located in ShanghaiTech and among the first four large-scale scientific facilities initiated by the Center, ShanghaiTech is involved in the construction of Live Cell Imagining Facility, Ultra-Intense and Ultrashort Pulse Laser Facility and Free Electron Laser Facility.
About School of Information Science and Technology:
The School of Information Science and Technology (SIST) is one of the four inaugural schools of ShanghaiTech University. SIST's mission is to cultivate, nurture, educate, and train future technology innovators, enterprise leaders, R&D specialists, and entrepreneurs in information science and technology. The SIST integrates world-leading scientific research environment with life-enriching and transformative education experience for our students.
The Schools cutting-edge research activities are designed to address global and national strategic challenges and needs of information science and technology. The School promotes both basic and applied research of the highest level by recruiting world-class scholars and researchers with international reputation as faculty members to establish state-of-the-art core technology laboratories, by collaborating broadly and closely with world-leading universities, research institutions, and hi-tech companies, and by taking advantages of Yangtze Deltas vibrant eco-environment rich with academic talents, financial strength, hi-tech industrial base, and superb regional economic policies. SIST is committed to undertaking and support national key R&D projects, with strong aspiration for scientific and technological breakthroughs. SIST has the clear objective of becoming a regional, national, and international development workhorse by directly contributing to global technological advances with creative ideas and disruptive innovations.
The School emphasizes the establishment of an innovative and personalized education system for our undergraduate and post-graduate students. Our curriculum centers on individual academic supervision in all educational processes and learning activities. We promote an innovative and modernized educational experience to keep pace with rapidly evolving R&D areas of information science and technology. In doing so, SIST can provide personalized teaching and training programs for students of various interests, backgrounds, and needs. The School continues to deliver a cutting-edge curriculum that consists of practical/advanced courses, exchange programs and internship opportunities with world-leading universities, research institutions, and hi-tech companies. We also offer special joint degree programs with international partner universities. By integrating teaching (campus), research (laboratory), and practice (company), SIST is proud of its competitive graduates who exhibit balanced characteristics of vision, ethics, responsibility, leadership, creativity, and entrepreneurship.
Main Research Areas:
1) Electrical Engineering
Analog and Digital Circuits, Power Electronics and Systems.
Signal Processing, Information Theory, Communications Networks, Control Theory and Systems.
2) Computer Engineering
Architecture, Compiler, Operating Systems, Software Engineering
Multi-core and Parallel Computing, Computer Networks, High Performance Computing.
3) Computer Science
Computation Theory, Algorithms, Database
Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Big Data and Cloud Computing, Intelligent Machines and Robotics.