ShanghaiTech University invites applications for a full-time tenured school leader with rich administrative experience to be the Vice Dean of Academic Affairs of the School of Creativity and Art (SCA).
The Vice Dean of Academic Affairs will provide leadership and strategic direction in professional education for the School. The Vice Dean of Academic Affairs will set the standard for intellectual engagement and accomplishment, provide strategic vision and operational leadership to all aspects of the academic and scholarly programs, and create an environment and community that support the School’s faculty and students. The incumbent works closely with other school deans/executive deans, administrative heads and staff to achieve common goals and outcomes.
• Provide a vision and leadership for the School for advancement in teaching and scholarship and fulfil the vision and mission of the University in accordance with the University Strategic Plan.
• Shape and implement a structure that promotes high standards of knowledge transfer and student learning at local and international levels.
• In collaboration with the faculty, establish new undergraduate and graduate education programs for the School and direct its growth and development.
• Promote innovation through the delivery of degrees at the highest standard whilst embracing new directions, ideas and opportunities.
• Inspire faculty/staff to deliver ambitious academic development programs which significantly enhance the experience of students and reinforce the University’s academic position.
Qualifications & Experience:
• A doctorate degree and strong academic and professional qualifications in one of the research focuses of the School with the rank of Professor.
• A distinguished record of teaching, research and scholarship, and substantial relevant experience in academic leadership roles.
• Experience in representing an academic unit effectively, with attention to its varied constituents, external bodies, and the public.
• A track record in leadership with an ability to work collaboratively with scholars, researches, senior academic personnel and university administrators.
• Experience in working with the faculty on curriculum development and to monitor its delivery to students at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
• Capability to provide academic leadership in education programs.
Competencies and Personal Characteristics:
• Capability to provide a strategic vision to assist the Executive Dean to lead the School to new heights in academic achievement and an ambitious drive to foster the highest standards of scholarship, and to build on and expand the School’s strengths.
• Ability to provide strong, dynamic academic leadership, to foster academic excellence, to inspire enthusiasm for high quality teaching, and encourage staff development.
• Strong professional stature that would command the respect of faculty members, community stakeholders, professional bodies and government advisory bodies.
• Ability to attract, motivate and retain distinguished faculty members.
• Outstanding management skills appropriate to working in an international environment with ability to create a shared sense of ownership, collegiality and enthusiasm among faculty and staff members.
• Strategic thinking and planning skills coupled with strong commitment to interdisciplinary collaboration and teamwork.
• Strong communication and networking skills to build and nurture internal and external contacts to the benefit of the School and the University.
• High level of integrity, superior judgment and strength of character.
• Mastery of a consultative and inclusive management style that is both supportive and motivating to the entire organization. A fair and firm administrator who will even-handedly and vigorously uphold quality standards in teaching.
• Extensive knowledge of higher education in China and abroad.
• A strong commitment to interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary studies, and to fostering excellence in education.
• Commitment to expansion of personal skills to improve and advance all causes of the University.
• Personal passion for education and public policy and a commitment to the hard work of contributing to the University, community and beyond.
• Entrepreneurship and innovative spirit.
Please send a cover letter, a CV, and the names of three referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ShanghaiTech University is a research establishment comprising five schools and two research institutes. The structure of our five schools emphasizes the cross-disciplinary and innovative nature of our research, approach to education and community service. We intend to leverage our location in the City of Shanghai, with the support of the Shanghai Municipal Government and the extraordinary resources of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).
The University is building a top-tier faculty of 1,000 professors including 500 tenured/tenure-track faculty (recruited globally) and 500 adjunct faculty recruited from CAS institutes, leading global companies and other prestigious universities. Among the current faculty (numbering 400), three are Nobel Laureates. ShanghaiTech offers Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, Doctoral degree and Professional Master Degree. The undergraduate students will reach 2,000 and graduate students will reach 4,000 (including 3,000 Ph.D. candidates). We have campuses in downtown Shanghai and Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park (the Silicon Valley of China). ShanghaiTech is completing a state-of-the-art research infrastructure and has formed a network of research alliances with nearby facilities such as the CAS Shanghai Advanced Research Institute, the Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility and the National Center for Protein Science Shanghai. At the end of 2015, the governing body of Zhangjiang Comprehensive National Science Center has been located in ShanghaiTech and among the first four large-scale scientific facilities initiated by the Center, ShanghaiTech is involved in the construction of Live Cell Imagining Facility, Ultra-Intense and Ultrashort Pulse Laser Facility and Free Electron Laser Facility.
More information about the University is available at: http://www.shanghaitech.edu.cn/eng/
About School of Creativity and Art
Formally established in November in 2017, School of Creativity and Art aims to develop an institute of higher education that is at the forefront of our country. We will be fully engaged internationally to promote innovation and collaboration of the creative arts with advanced science and technology to provide a pioneering platform for research, experiment, exchange, growth and breakthroughs. To challenge the next generation of creative art professionals to inject new inspirations and momentum into China and provide humanity advances in our cultural and spiritual lives.